Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Mommy Self-Esteem

     First off, I contemplated posting this, just because I am more of a private person (says the woman with a blog) about myself. I love sharing about my son and family, usually just leave myself out of it. This is in no way a search for pity or sadness I just want to share what I have been feeling as a new mommy, and hopefully some can relate.

     Five months after giving birth, I look in the mirror and realize I look nothing like I did as a newlywed. I realize that I will probably never look the way I did when I was 18. And in my heart I know that it is okay and I am enough. But my head feels differently... and so do my thighs!

     I would like to say that I look at my son and all of the insecurity goes away. I do feel that way at times, but sometimes I just feel blah and I fall apart.  Seeing your body change when you didn't have the best body image to begin with is hard, no matter who you are.  I felt it before I was pregnant, while I was pregnant, and I definitely feel it now!

     I find my self needing reassurance that I am beautiful, that used to not be as important to me. I usually don't need people to tell me I am worth something to believe it.

     To combat this feeling of inferiority, I have been taking some steps to feel better about myself:
First I have been trying to get dressed for the day, everyday. This truly helps boost your self-esteem, even if no one else but my handsome boy is going to see me:) I have been exercising and eating healthier. Drinking more and more water and less diet coke.

    Secondly, I'm not comparing myself to others-what is the point anyway? I do not lose anything when someone gains- I am enough. Being kind and truly happy for others helps me to be happy with myself. It really does. Selflessly serving others is a good way to let go of yourself.

     I am so blessed with a sweet husband and son and I am making great strides in letting this feeling of inferiority go for good!


Peace and loving others so we can more fully love ourselves- thanks for reading!
                                                         Rachael




2 comments:

  1. What a great post! I'm sure this will help someone else going thru the same thing. You are such a beautiful person, inside and out! Be proud of who you are, a wonderful wife, mother, daughter, sister, and friend. You are loved by many just the way you are.

    ReplyDelete